Your feedback is important to us! Email us how we can improve these documents.
We have collected a library of best practices, presentations, and videos around the installation and upgrade of the Pentaho suite of software. These materials cover the following versions of software:
|Pentaho Business Analytics Suite||7.x, 8.0|
Here are a couple of downloadable resources for best practices for installation and upgrade:
|Best Practices - Installation & Upgrade (pdf)|
|Presentation - Installing & Updating (pdf)|
Installing and Updating to Pentaho 8.0 - Video
Here are a series of related articles that are either featured in the webinar, or are closely related topics that you may find of interest:
Best Practices and Guidelines:
- Best Practices for Pentaho Installation
- Pentaho Server: Optimizing Connection Pools
- Migrate Users / Roles from Pentaho Security to JDBC
- Recommendations - Logging and Monitoring for Pentaho Servers
- Secure LDAP Passwords for Pentaho Suite
- Guidelines - Pentaho Tools & Integrated Authentication Methods
- Guidelines for Upgrade - Merge Files and Class References
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When we upgraded from Pentaho 6.1 to 7.1 we were told to leave our BA and DI servers separate. Does that mean that your process for upgrading from Pentaho 7.1 to 8.0 won't work, since it assumes that the servers are combined?
A: The documented upgrade process for 8.0 will work for either the BA or the DI Servers. You'll just need to perform the upgrade on each.
Q: Is there backward compatibility for server 8 to run jobs saved as 6.x?
A: We support job execution and schedule backward compatibility. Make sure to Test Your DI Server after upgrade to Pentaho 8.0.
Q: Is there a migration tool for moving the existing repository to the new version?
A: You have two choices:
- You can upgrade your existing repository as long as you are upgrading from either Pentaho 6.1.x or 7.x.
- Or you can start over with a fresh repository for Pentaho 8.0. Backup and Restore Pentaho Repositories has instructions on how to migrate your data.
Q: We are currently running Carte Server only on Pentaho 7.x. What is the recommended way to upgrade to Pentaho 8.0, and is upgrade actually required?
A: Both the Pentaho Server and ALL components (including the Design Tools distributed with the Carte Server) need to be running on the same version of Pentaho.